Re: Limiting user from changing its own attributes

От Sameer Kumar
Тема Re: Limiting user from changing its own attributes
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 1:03 PM Jim Nasby <Jim.Nasby@bluetreble.com> wrote:
On 4/12/15 11:55 PM, Sameer Kumar wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 11:35 Jim Nasby <Jim.Nasby@bluetreble.com
> <mailto:Jim.Nasby@bluetreble.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 4/11/15 4:11 PM, Sameer Kumar wrote:
>      >     Pg_settings currently has an upper bound column - though it is a
>      >     view and that value cannot be changed that I know of.
>      >
>      >
>      > I guess that upper bound column is more of the limit that is
>     imposed by
>      > system which you can have for a parameter i.e. the system imposed
>     limit
>      > or valid range if values for a parameter. I don't think one can
>     update that.
>
>     Correct.
>
>      >     But if it could I suspect that whatever catalog you would
>     change to
>      >     affect it would only cause a global change. There is no alter
>      >     database, role, or postgresql way to change that value.
>      >
>      > Oh ok... anyway of achieving that? There no EVENT trigger for
>     "alter user"?
>
>     There is not, but as David mentioned there's way more ways to modify
>     settings than just ALTER ROLE. Attempting to lock that down won't help
>     you at all.
>
>     Unfortunately, there's no hook support for doing something special when
>     GUCs change, though it might be possible to do something here via
>     planner hooks. That would be pretty complicated and would need to be
>     done in C.
>
>     It doesn't look like SELinux would help either.
>
>     So basically, there is currently no way to restrict someone changing
>     GUCs, other than GUCs that are marked as superuser-only.
>
> Is there anything ecpected in any of the near future release?

No. I suspect the community would support at least a hook for GUC
changes, if not a full-on permissions system. A hook would make it
fairly easy to add event trigger support.

I hope someone out there is listening :)

I hope I have made my concern clear, I currently don't have a way to control users from changing the parameter values for their own settings, which allows each user to set in-appropriate values e.g. for work_mem.

Regards
Sameer