Re: a back up question

От Carl Karsten
Тема Re: a back up question
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 4:15 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
Carl Karsten wrote:
> Nothing wrong with lots of tables and data.
>
> Don't impose any constraints on your problem you don't need to.
>
> Like what are you backing up to?    $400 for a 1T ssd or $80 fo a 2T usb3
> spinny disk.
>
> If you are backing up while the db is being updated, you need to make sure
> updates are queued until the backup is done.  don't mess with that
> process.   personally I would assume the db is always being updated and
> expect that.

A backup generated by pg_dump never includes writes that are in flight
while the backup is being taken.  That would make the backup absolutely
worthless!

Hmm, i kinda glossed over my point:
if you come up with your own process to chop up the backup into little pieces, you risk letting writes in, and then yeah, worthless.

--
Carl K