Re: \if, \elseif, \else, \endif (was Re: [HACKERS] PSQL commands:\quit_if, \quit_unless)

От Corey Huinker
Тема Re: \if, \elseif, \else, \endif (was Re: [HACKERS] PSQL commands:\quit_if, \quit_unless)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
@in't gonna execute it?

Hmmm... This is too much of an Americanism, IMHO.

The @ looks like a handwritten 'a'.  @in't gonna => ain't gonna => will not. It's a bad joke, made as a way of saying that I also could not think of a good mnemonic for '@' or ','.

I'm here all week, try the veal.

Sorry, syntax error, you have lost me. Some googling suggests a reference to post WW2 "lounge entertainers", probably in the USA. I also do not understand why this would mean "yes".

It's a thing lounge entertainers said after they told a bad joke.

  . for z (waiting for the end of the sentence, i.e. endif)

+1 ... if we end up displaying the not-true-and-not-evaluated 'z' state.

  & for t (no real mnemonic)

For two states:
  * for being executed (beware, it is ***important***)

It does lend importance, but that's also the line continuation marker for "comment". Would that be a problem?

  / for not (under the hood, and it is opposed to *)

+1, I was going to suggest '/' for a false state, with two possible metaphors to justify it
  1. the slash in a "no" sign ("no smoking", ghostbusters, etc)
  2. the leading char of a c/java/javascript comment (what is written here is just words, not code)