Re: [ADMIN] [PERFORM] 2 server with same configuration but hugedifference in performance

От Naveen Kumar
Тема Re: [ADMIN] [PERFORM] 2 server with same configuration but hugedifference in performance
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hello Sumeet,

Compare schema on both database to make sure there is no mismatches. And verify LOCKs. if all looks good,
do analyze on newly created database before start execution. This will help you. New database doesn't have any stats for generate execution plan.

Thanks & Regards,
Naveen Kumar .M,
Sr. PostgreSQL Database Administrator,
Mobile: 7755929449.
My attitude will always be based on how you treat me.

On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 9:43 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 8:45 AM, Sumeet Shukla <sumeet.k.shukla@gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems that it is happening because of the way the database is created. On
> an old database it runs perfectly fine or if I use the old DB as template to
> create the new one, it  runs fine. But if I create a new DB with same
> settings and permissions it hangs. I'm now trying to find the difference
> between these 2 databases.

Likely a difference in encoding or collation. What does \l show you
(that's a lower case L btw)

smarlowe=> \l
                                  List of databases
   Name    |  Owner   | Encoding |   Collate   |    Ctype    |
Access privileges
 postgres  | smarlowe | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |
 smarlowe  | smarlowe | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |

UTF8 and en_US are much more expensive than SQL_ASCII and C would be
for text and such. Basically indexes either don't work or work as well
under en_US if you're comparing or sorting text.