Re: Tips/advice for implementing integrated RESTful HTTP API

От Dobes Vandermeer
Тема Re: Tips/advice for implementing integrated RESTful HTTP API
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
restriction.<pdir="ltr">As for a writing a frontend this might be the best solution. <p dir="ltr">A java frontend would
beeasy but pointless because the whole point here is to provide a lightweight access method to the database for
environmentsthat don't have the ability to use the jdbc or libpq libraries.  Deploying a java setup would be too much
trouble.<pdir="ltr">I do see now that PG uses one worker per connection rather than a worker pool as I had thought
before.So there's nothing already in there to help me dispatch requests and making my own worker pool that distributes
requestsusing sockets wouldn't be any better than connecting back using libpq.<p dir="ltr">A C frontend using libevent
wouldbe easy enough to make and deploy for this I guess.<p dir="ltr">But... Maybe nobody really wants this thing
anyway,there seem to be some other options out there already.<p dir="ltr">Thanks for the feedback.<br /><div
class="gmail_quote">OnAug 31, 2014 8:46 PM, "Craig Ringer" <<a
href="mailto:craig@2ndquadrant.com">craig@2ndquadrant.com</a>>wrote:<br type="attribution" /><blockquote
class="gmail_quote"style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"> On 08/31/2014 12:40 PM, Dobes
apparentlyonly connect to a single database<br /> > at a time, but I want to expose all the databases via the
that,why use a bgworker at all?<br /><br /> In general, what do you gain from trying to do this within the database<br
/>server its self, not as an app in front of the DB?<br /><br /> > I could probably manage a pool of dynamic workers
(asof 9.4), one per<br /> > user/database combination or something along those lines.  Even one per<br /> >
request? Is there some kind of IPC system in place to help shuttle the<br /> > requests and responses between
shuttlerequests out to<br /> > workers, is it possible to tap into that system instead?  Basically some<br /> >
theSPI, that executes work directly within the bgworker,<br /> making it behave like a normal backend for the purpose
you'dhave attempting to modify PostgreSQL its self for this<br /> is that connection dispatch occurs via the
postmaster,which is a<br /> single-threaded process that already needs to do a bit of work to keep<br /> an eye on how
thingsare running. You don't want it constantly busy<br /> processing and dispatching millions of tiny HTTP requests.
Itcan't just<br /> hand a connection off to a back-end immediately after accepting it,<br /> either; it'd have to read
theHTTP headers to determine what database to<br /> connect to. Then launch a new backend for the connection, which
is<br/> horribly inefficient when doing tiny short-lived connections. The<br /> postmaster has no concept of a pool of
you'dwant<br /> a connection accepter process that watched the listening http request<br /> socket. It'd hand
connectionsoff to dispatcher processes that read the<br /> message content to get the target DB and dispatch the
requestto a<br /> worker backend for the appropriate user/db combo, then collect the<br /> results and return them on
theconnection. Hopefully at this point<br /> you're thinking "that sounds a lot like a connection pool"... because
it<br/> is. An awfully complicated one, probably, as you'd have to manage<br /> everything using shared memory segments
PgBounceror PgPool to do what you want. Or write a<br /> server with Tomcat/Jetty using JAX-RS and PgJDBC and the built
/>> The regular PostgreSQL server can run many queries in parallel<br /><br /> Well, one PostgreSQL instance
(postmaster)may have many backends, each<br /> of which may run queries in series but not in parallel. Any given<br />
target="_blank">http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/</a><br/>  PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training & Services<br
/></blockquote></div>