Re: Tips/advice for implementing integrated RESTful HTTP API

От Dobes Vandermeer
Тема Re: Tips/advice for implementing integrated RESTful HTTP API
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 7:00 PM, Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 09/02/2014 12:50 AM, Dobes Vandermeer wrote:
> Hmm yes I am learning that the BG worker system isn't as helpful as I
> had hoped due to the single database restriction.
>
> As for a writing a frontend this might be the best solution.
>
> A java frontend would be easy but pointless because the whole point here
> is to provide a lightweight access method to the database for
> environments that don't have the ability to use the jdbc or libpq
> libraries.  Deploying a java setup would be too much trouble.

If you can't run libpq, you can't run *anything* really, it's very
lightweight. I think you misunderstood what I was saying; I'm talking
about it acting as a proxy for HTTP-based requests, running on or in
front of the PostgreSQL server like a server-side connection pool would.

I was just referring to an environment that doesn't have a binding to libpq or JSBC, for example node.js for a long time had no postgresql client so I didn't use PostgreSQL when I used node.js.

Same idea as PgBouncer or PgPool. The advantage over hacking
PgBouncer/PgPool for the job is that Tomcat can already do a lot of what
you want using built-in, pre-existing functionality. Connection pool
management, low level REST-style HTTP processing, JSON handling etc are
all done for you.

Yeah, those are nice conveniences but I still think installing Java and getting something to run on startup is a bit more of a hurdle.  Better maek life easier up front by having a simple standalone proxy you can compile and run with just whatever is already available on a typical AWS ubuntu environment.

> A C frontend using libevent would be easy enough to make and deploy for
> this I guess.
>
> But... Maybe nobody really wants this thing anyway, there seem to be
> some other options out there already.

It's something I think would be interesting to have, but IMO to be
really useful it'd need to support composing object graphs as json, a
json query format, etc. So you can say "get me this customer with all
their addresses and contact records" without having to issue a bunch of
queries (round trips) or use ORM-style left-join-and-deduplicate hacks
that waste bandwidth and are messy and annoying.

If the SQL outputs rows with ARRAY and JSON type columns in them then that may be sufficient to construct whatever kind of JSON structure you want for the query result.  I'm not sure why ORMs don't take better advantage of this; maybe they're just too cross-DB or maybe this feature isn't as powerful as I think it is?

PostgreSQL also allows you to query and index fields inside of a json value, so at least initially you can get all this power without inventing any new query language.

But later a translator could be made, like an ORM-ish thingy, that might have less clutter than the SQL one because some shorthand could be used for peeking inside the JSON structures.

Close care to security and auth would also need to be taken. You don't
want to be sending a username/password with each request; you need a
reasonable authentication token system, request signing to prevent
replay attacks, idempotent requests, etc.

Well, these would be needed for use cases where the DB is exposed to untrusted parties, which has never been the case on projects I've worked on.  I wouldn't be against these sorts of improvements if people want to make them, but wouldn't matter much to me.  I was hoping to re-use postgres built-in password/ident security system.

Cheers,

Dobes