Re: bug or lacking doc hint

От Marc Millas
Тема Re: bug or lacking doc hint
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Mon, Jun 26, 2023 at 4:05 PM Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:
On 6/26/23 07:22, Marc Millas wrote:

On Mon, Jun 26, 2023 at 5:47 AM Avin Kavish <avin@baseboard.ai> wrote:
Sounds like the problem you are having is, the server is running out of temporary resources for the operation that users are trying to do. So according to Tom, on the postgres side, the operation cannot be optimized further.

I think you have few choices here,
  - See if increasing the resources of the server will allow them to run the operation
  - Ask users not to do that operation
  - Use a extension like citus to scale horizontally

But I'm thinking why a massively inefficient join is needed in the first place. Shouldn't joins be for following keyed relationships. So ideally a unique indexed column, but at the very least an indexed column. Why is a join required on a dynamically calculated substring? Can it be made into a static computed value and indexed? Substring sounds like an op that should be in the filter stage.

Can you describe your data model? Maybe we can give some specific advice.

There is a set of big tables containing fine grain health data. The DB is accessed by people doing research on various kind of sicknesses. So, by nature, all columns (I mean ALL) can be used for every kind of SQL including, obviously, lots of intricated joins.

This sounds like the kind of problem normally solved by data warehouses.  Is your schema designed like a DW, or is it in 3NF?

it's, indeed, some kind of dwh.
but it's neither a star nor a snowflake .at least not used like those standard schemas.
in one of the big tables (10 billions+ rows), there is around 60 columns, describing one event: some guy have had a given sickness, got a given medoc etc
The pb is that its not one simple event with a set of dimensions, the  people  using that db are NOT looking for an event according to various criterias, they are looking for correlations between each of the 60+ columns.
As a consequence very few indexes are used as most requests end in some kind of huge sequential reads.
The machine was built for this and perform well, but some requests are posing pb and we must find solutions/workaround.
one of the users did rewrite the request using  a select distinct matched with left join(s) and table.a is not null set of conditions.
looks crazy, but does work. I'll get the request tomorrow.

--
Born in Arizona, moved to Babylonia.

Marc MILLAS