Re: MS-ACCESS 2010, ODBC 12.01, Out of Memory

От Jonah H. Harris
Тема Re: MS-ACCESS 2010, ODBC 12.01, Out of Memory
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces
On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 9:43 AM Pavlo Golub <pavlo.golub@cybertec.at> wrote:

------ Original Message ------
From: "Stefan Wolf" <sw@zpmt.de>
Sent: 2020-03-02 15:41:05
Subject: MS-ACCESS 2010, ODBC 12.01, Out of Memory

Win10-Client:  MS-ACCESS 2010 (32-Bit),  ODBC-Driver:  12.01

Linux-Server (1):  PostgreSQL 12.2

Linux-Server (2):  PostgreSQL  9.6

We are currently migrating from PG 9.6. to 12.x.

We’ve created System-DSNs (PostgreSQL Unicode) with [Defaults] for both Server.

In MS-ACCESS our biggest Server-Tables (>14.000.000 Rows) can be opened (on both Servers).

But it takes a lot of time and uses a lot of memory - more than 450MB on the client and some GB on the server.

This is for sure MsAcess problem, and not a bug of PostgreSQL.

Is it?

The indexes are recognized an filtering is fast.

Trying to open more than one “big table” will result in MS-ACCESS “Out of memory”.

Sounds like msAccess fetches all rows and put them into memory which is weird and unwise. Not a bug of PostgreSQL

Sounds like the ODBC driver configuration isn't using UseDeclareFetch=1 and, as such, is defaulting to Postgres' crappy default buffer-all-results-on-the-client-at-once protocol - a problem that would exist in any client software not overriding that behavior.

--
Jonah H. Harris