Re: Support prepared statement invalidation when result types change

От Shay Rojansky
Тема Re: Support prepared statement invalidation when result types change
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Sep 18, 2023 at 1:31 PM Jelte Fennema-Nio <me@jeltef.nl> wrote:

> Furthermore caching RowDescription is also not super useful, most
> clients request it every time because it does not require an extra
> round trip, so there's almost no overhead in requesting it.

Just to point out, FWIW, that the .NET Npgsql driver does indeed cache RowDescriptions... The whole point of preparation is to optimize things as much as possible for repeated execution of the query; I get that the value there is much lower than e.g. doing another network roundtrip, but that's still extra work that's better off being cut if it can be.