Clarify the ordering guarantees in combining queries (or lack thereof)

От Shay Rojansky
Тема Clarify the ordering guarantees in combining queries (or lack thereof)
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
Greetings.

I was trying to understand what - if any - are the guarantees with regards to ordering for combining queries (UNION/UNION ALL/...). From this message[1], it seems that UNION ALL does preserve the ordering of the operand queries, whereas UNION does not (presumably neither do INTERSECT, INTERSECT ALL, EXCEPT and EXCEPT ALL).

The documentation[2] makes no mention of this, I'd suggest adding a note clarifying this.

Thanks,

Shay