Re: SKIP LOCKED DATA (work in progress)

От Thomas Munro
Тема Re: SKIP LOCKED DATA (work in progress)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello

As a simple example for people wondering what the point of this
feature is, I created a table work (id, data, status)
and then create 10,000 items with status 'NEW' and then started
a number of worker threads that did the following pair of
transactions, with and without SKIP LOCKED DATA on the end of the
SELECT statement, until all rows were deleted:

  BEGIN
  SELECT id, data FROM work WHERE status = 'NEW' LIMIT 1 FOR UPDATE
  -- if no rows returned, then finish
  UPDATE work SET status = 'WORK' WHERE id = $id
  COMMIT

  BEGIN
  DELETE FROM work WHERE id = $id
  COMMIT

Here are the times taken to process all items, in elapsed seconds, on
a slow laptop (i5 4 core with an SSD, with default postgresql.conf
except for checkpoint_segments set to 300):

  | Threads | default |  SKIP |
  |       1 |   26.78 | 27.02 |
  |       2 |   23.46 | 22.00 |
  |       3 |   22.02 | 14.83 |
  |       4 |   22.59 | 11.16 |
  |       5 |   22.37 |  9.05 |
  |       6 |   22.55 |  7.66 |
  |       7 |   22.46 |  6.69 |
  |       8 |   22.57 |  8.39 |
  |       9 |   22.40 |  8.38 |
  |      10 |   22.38 |  7.93 |
  |      11 |   22.43 |  6.86 |
  |      12 |   22.34 |  6.77 |

I am not experienced at benchmarking and I don't claim that this
particular workload or configuration is particularly sensible or
representative of anything but it might give some idea of the
motivation.

Best regards,
Thomas Munro

Сообщение: Re: buildfarm: strange OOM failures on markhor (running CLOBBER_CACHE_RECURSIVELY)
Сообщение: Re: buildfarm: strange OOM failures on markhor (running CLOBBER_CACHE_RECURSIVELY)