Re: query plan question, nested loop vs hash join

От Andrey Lizenko
Тема Re: query plan question, nested loop vs hash join
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Thanks for your reply, Marti, as I answered to Tom couple of days ago adjusting of 'effective_cache_size' to 80% of RAM and 'random_page_cost' from 2 to 1 helped me.

On 8 October 2014 00:26, Marti Raudsepp <marti@juffo.org> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 6:38 PM, Andrey Lizenko <lizenko79@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to force optimizer choose the second plan without doing  "set
> enable_hashjoin = off;" ?
>
> Increasing  of 'effective_cache_size' leads to similar thing with mergejoin,
> other options (work_mem, shared_buffers. etc) do not change anything.

Have you tried changing random_page_cost?

In small databases where most of the data is cached anyway, lowering
random_page_cost to somewhere between 1 and 2 usually leads to better
planner decisions.

Regards,
Marti

--