archive_command and streaming replication

От Scott Briggs
Тема archive_command and streaming replication
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi, can someone please explain the purpose of archive_command on both
the master and slave when it comes to streaming replication?  From
what I understand so far, what really matters is how many pg_xlog
files are kept when it comes to reestablishing replication when it
breaks for some reason.

Let's say I shutdown one slave to create a second slave by copying all
the files to that new slave.  If I want to guarantee that the original
slave is able to reestablish replication, I just need to make sure
that the master keeps enough pg_xlog files (defined by the setting
"checkpoint_segments") around in order for that to happen (especially
in the event that the database is large).

Thanks,
Scott