Re: RFC Changing the version number for JDBC

От Dave Cramer
Тема Re: RFC Changing the version number for JDBC
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 27 November 2016 at 11:29, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Dave Cramer <davecramer@gmail.com> writes:
> We are proposing changing the JDBC version from
> 9.4.xxxx to 42.x.x

> We have two issues we are trying to address here.

> 1) we do not want to be tied to the server release schedule. This has been
> somewhat addressed already but has left us with the second issue.

> 2) Avoid confusion as to which version to use with which server version.
> Currently the naming scheme has 9.4 in it which leads people to believe it
> is for server version 9.4

To clarify --- are you planning to advance the "42" part fairly often,
or is it intended to stay static?  If the latter, I think this design
is shortsighted.  Given current project policies, server version 42
should come out in 2049, plus or minus a bit, and you'd be right back
with the is-this-meant-to-match-the-server-version problem.

Admittedly, many of us won't be around in 2049, but it's not out of
the realm of possibility that the project would still be kicking.

If you advance the major version part every year or so, it'd be OK
since you could expect to stay well ahead of the server's major
version number forever.

Ya we could easily stay ahead of the server.

Thanks,

Dave Cramer

Сообщение: Re: User-defined Operator Pushdown and Collations
Сообщение: Re: User-defined Operator Pushdown and Collations