Re: Proposal to provide the facility to set binary format output for specific OID's per session

От Dave Cramer
Тема Re: Proposal to provide the facility to set binary format output for specific OID's per session
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Dave Cramer

On Sun, 24 Jul 2022 at 23:02, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote:
At Fri, 22 Jul 2022 11:00:18 -0400, Dave Cramer <davecramer@gmail.com> wrote in
> As a proof of concept I provide the attached patch which implements the
> ability to specify which oids will be returned in binary format per
> session.
> Both the JDBC driver and the go driver can exploit this change with no
> changes. I haven't confirmed if other drivers would work without changes.

I'm not sure about the needs of that, but binary exchange format is
not the one that can be turned on ignoring the peer's capability.
I'm not sure what this means. The client is specifying which types it wants in binary format.
  If
JDBC driver wants some types be sent in binary format, it seems to be
able to be specified in bind message.
To be clear it's not just the JDBC client; the original idea came from the author of go driver.
And yes you can specify it in the bind message but you have to specify it in *every* bind message which pretty much negates any advantage you might get out of binary format due to the extra round trip.

Regards,
Dave

regards.

--