Re: dynamic result sets support in extended query protocol

От Dave Cramer
Тема Re: dynamic result sets support in extended query protocol
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 at 20:09, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
Hi,

On 2020-10-20 18:55:41 -0500, Jack Christensen wrote:
> Upthread someone posted a page pgjdbc detailing desired changes to the
> backend protocol (
> https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/blob/master/backend_protocol_v4_wanted_features.md).

A lot of the stuff on there seems way beyond what can be achieved in
something incrementally added to the protocol. Fair enough in an article
about "v4" of the protocol. But I don't think we are - nor should we be
- talking about a full new protocol version here. Instead we are talking
about extending the protocol, where the extensions are opt-in.

You are correct we are not talking about a whole new protocol, but why not ?
Seems to me we would have a lot more latitude to get it right if we didn't have this limitation.

Dave