Re: Protocol question regarding Portal vs Cursor

От Dave Cramer
Тема Re: Protocol question regarding Portal vs Cursor
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Dave Cramer

On Tue, 7 Nov 2023 at 10:26, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Dave Cramer <davecramer@gmail.com> writes:
> If we use a Portal it is possible to open the portal and do a describe and
> then Fetch N records.

> Using a Cursor we open the cursor. Is there a corresponding describe and a
> way to fetch N records without getting the fields each time. Currently we
> have to send the SQL  "fetch <direction> N" and we get the fields and the
> rows. This seems overly verbose.

Portals and cursors are pretty much the same thing, so why not use
the API that suits you better?

So in this case this is a refcursor. Based on above then I should be able to do a describe on the refcursor and fetch using the extended query protocol

Cool!

Dave