Re: Binary support for pgoutput plugin

От Dave Cramer
Тема Re: Binary support for pgoutput plugin
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 5 Jun 2019 at 18:50, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
Hi,

On 2019-06-05 18:47:57 -0400, Dave Cramer wrote:
> So one of the things they would like added is to get not null information
> in the schema record. This is so they can mark the field Optional in Java.
> I presume this would also have some uses in other languages. As I
> understand it this would require a protocol bump. If this were to be
> accepted are there any outstanding asks that would useful to add if we were
> going to bump the protocol?

I'm pretty strongly opposed to this. What's the limiting factor when
adding such information? I think clients that want something like this
ought to query the database for catalog information when getting schema
information.

So talking some more to the guys that want to use this for Change Data Capture they pointed out that if the schema changes while they are offline there is no way to query the catalog information

Dave