Re: Binary support for pgoutput plugin

От Dave Cramer
Тема Re: Binary support for pgoutput plugin
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 4 Jun 2019 at 18:08, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
Hi,

On 2019-06-05 00:05:02 +0200, David Fetter wrote:
> Would it make sense to work toward a binary format that's not
> architecture-specific? I recall from COPY that our binary format is
> not standardized across, for example, big- and little-endian machines.

I think you recall wrongly. It's obviously possible that we have bugs
around this, but output/input routines are supposed to handle a
endianess independent format. That usually means that you have to do
endianess conversions, but that doesn't make it non-standardized.

Additionally there are a number of drivers that already know how to handle our binary types.
I don't really think there's a win here. I also want to keep the changes small .

Dave