Re: [DOCS] JDBC documentation - issue report

От Dave Cramer
Тема Re: [DOCS] JDBC documentation - issue report
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Ya, this really is an innocuous issue

Dave Cramer

dave.cramer(at)credativ(dot)ca
http://www.credativ.ca

On 20 August 2014 00:27, Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 08/19/2014 01:12 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Forwarding this to pgsql-jdbc mailing list.
>
> On 08/18/2014 06:18 AM, Christopher Barham wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> Just spotted a possible issue in the Documentation around loading the
>> JDBC driver.  This page documents how:
>> http://jdbc.postgresql.org/documentation/93/load.html
>>
>> However, as of JDK6/JDBC 4.0, it should not be necessary to use the
>>
>> Class.forName("org.postgresql.Driver");
>>
>> method to load the JDBC driver as they are automatically loaded  – see
>> Javadoc here
>>
>> http://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/sql/DriverManager.html

That's valid, but minor, really; the Class.forName(...) call is harmless.

Given how badly confused users seem to be about JDBC3 vs JDBC4 etc, I'm
reluctant to remove this until Java SE 5 is dead and gone and PgJDBC
drops JDBC4 support. Sometime around 2030 at the rate adoption of newer
releases is going.

A note to say that explicit loading is ineffective if using a JDBC4
driver and on Java 1.6 or newer would be reasonable.

--
 Craig Ringer                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/