NOW() function in combination with SET timezone

От Jonas Gassenmeyer
Тема NOW() function in combination with SET timezone
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Hello everyone,
i have a background in Oracle and it seems that dealing with time zones is treated a bit different in PostgreSQL. I started experimenting with NOW() and timezone settings and understand that (at least the *display* in the client) can be changed by the SET command. What I don't understand is, what data/info will be sent from my client to the database server when...
  1. ...storing a timestamp value in a column (INSERT)
  2. ...comparing now() with another column in the WHERE clause
For 1.) it would help if I have similar options like the DUMP() function in Oracle (is there an equivalent that would give me a hint what has been *physically* stored in a column?)

For 2.) it would help if You could confirm my current understanding:
  • Let's assume my client has set the timezone to Tokyo and the server is using UTC.
  • Even if calling NOW() and the display in my client is Tokyo time, once I send data to the server my timestamp would get converted to the timezone of the server.
  • For further comparison with any time stamp columns in a table it would use the converted timestamp (UTC timezone of the database server).
  • It would not make a difference if I compare NOW() to a column of type timestamp instead of timestampTZ (assuming that I know what timezone was used to insert into the column)
Thank You so much in advance and happy Friday!
---
Jonas