Re: How to redirect output from PostgreSQL pg_recvlogical to a file or a pipe?

От David Ventimiglia
Тема Re: How to redirect output from PostgreSQL pg_recvlogical to a file or a pipe?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Let me just lay my cards on the table.  What I'm really trying to do is capture change events with logical decoding and then send them back into the database into a database table.  To do that, I believe I need to process the event records into SQL insert statements somehow.  xargs is one option.  jq is another.  My idea was to pipe the pg_recvlogical output through a jq transform into psql, but that didn't work (neither did earlier experiments with xargs).  Redirecting the output to an intermediate file via stdout was just an attempt to reduce the problem to a simpler problem.  I had thought (incorrectly, as it turns out) that I was unable even to redirect it to a file, but evidently that's not the case.  I can redirect it to a file.  What I cannot seem to do is run it through a jq filter and pipe it back into psql.  I can run it through a jq filter and redirect it to a file, no problem.  But the minute I change it to pipe to psql, it ceases to produce the desired result.

I tried illustrating this in this screencast:

Perhaps another way to put this is, how does one capture output from pg_recvlogical and pipe it back into the database (or if you like, some other database) with psql.  When I set out to do this I didn't think bash pipes and redirection would be the hard part, and yet here I am.  Maybe there's some other way, because I'm fresh out of ideas.

Best,
David