Re: Collation versioning

От Douglas Doole
Тема Re: Collation versioning
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Oh good. I'd missed that detail. So that eases the RI constraint concern. (In my previous job, we wanted case/accent insensitive collations, so equal did not mean binary equal which added a whole extra level of fun.)

On Sun, Sep 16, 2018 at 11:39 AM Andrew Gierth <andrew@tao11.riddles.org.uk> wrote:
> [...]

 Douglas> And constraints problems are even easier than triggers.
 Douglas> Consider a database with complex BI rules that are implemented
 Douglas> through triggers that fire when values are/are not equal. If
 Douglas> the equality of strings change, there could be bad data
 Douglas> throughout the tables.

Perhaps fortunately, collation changes cannot (in PG) affect the
equality or non-equality of strings (at least of text/varchar/char
types, citext is a different matter). For the builtin string types, PG
follows the rule that if the collation calls the values equal, they are
ordered secondarily in codepoint order; only byte-identical values can
actually be equal (we need this in order for hashing to work in the
absence of a strxfrm implementation that we can trust).

(This is the same rule used for string comparisons in Perl.)

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)