Re: Largest & Smallest Functions

От Ken Tanzer
Тема Re: Largest & Smallest Functions
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 10:10 PM Andrew Gierth <andrew@tao11.riddles.org.uk> wrote:

But you don't need to create more functions, because you can do this:

select largest(variadic array[1,2,3]);
 largest
---------
       3

As already pointed out, greatest() and least() exist (though they were
added before VARIADIC was, so they don't use it)

Yeah, I get that my four functions can collapse down to 2.  I was just trying to say that if the greatest() and least() expressions did use VARIADIC, that would collapse down to 0 additional functions. :)

 Ken> 3) Bonus question--how come all the existing _larger and _smaller
 Ken> functions are specific to each data type, as opposed to more
 Ken> general smaller/larger functions?

Because it saves looking up the type comparison function and doing an
indirect call.

That makes sense--thanks for the explanation!

Cheers,
Ken

--
AGENCY Software
A Free Software data system

learn more about AGENCY or
follow the discussion.

Сообщение: Re: Largest & Smallest Functions
Сообщение: Re: Largest & Smallest Functions