Array string casts with SELECT but not SELECT DISTINCT

От Ken Tanzer
Тема Array string casts with SELECT but not SELECT DISTINCT
Дата
Re: Array string casts with SELECT but not SELECT DISTINCT  (sridhar bamandlapally <sridhar.bn1@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Hi.  Here's a boiled down example of something that caught me by surprise:

ag_reach_test=> CREATE TEMP TABLE foo (my_array varchar[]);
CREATE TABLE
ag_reach_test=> INSERT INTO foo (my_array) SELECT '{TEST}';
INSERT 0 1
ag_reach_test=> SELECT my_array[1],array_length(my_array,1) FROM foo;
 my_array | array_length
----------+--------------
 TEST     |            1
(1 row)

ag_reach_test=> INSERT INTO foo (my_array) SELECT DISTINCT '{TEST}';
ERROR:  column "my_array" is of type character varying[] but expression is of type text
LINE 1: INSERT INTO foo (my_array) SELECT DISTINCT '{TEST}';
                                                   ^
HINT:  You will need to rewrite or cast the expression.

It's easy enough to add a cast, but I was curious if this was expected and desired behavior.   Thanks.

Ken

--
AGENCY Software
A Free Software data system