Re: [HACKERS] Block level parallel vacuum

От Masahiko Sawada
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Block level parallel vacuum
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

<CAD21AoCUZQmyXrwDw57ejoR-j1QrGqm_vrQKOkif_aJK4Gih6Q@mail.gmail.com>
> > On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 10:39 AM Haribabu Kommi
> > <kommi.haribabu@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > The performance results are good. Do we want to add the recommended
> > > size in the document for the parallel option? the parallel option for smaller
> > > tables can lead to performance overhead.
> > >

> > Hmm, I don't think we can add the specific recommended size because
> > the performance gain by parallel lazy vacuum depends on various things
> > such as CPU cores, the number of indexes, shared buffer size, index
> > types, HDD or SSD. I suppose that users who want to use this option
> > have some sort of performance problem such as that vacuum takes a very
> > long time. They would use it for relatively larger tables.
>
> Agree that we have no recommended setting, but I strongly think that documentation on the downside or possible side
effectof this feature is required for those who are to use the feature.

I think that the side effect of parallel lazy vacuum would be to
consume more CPUs and I/O bandwidth, but which is also true for the
other utility command (i.e. parallel create index). The description of
max_parallel_maintenance_worker documents such things[1]. Anything
else to document?

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/runtime-config-resource.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-RESOURCE-ASYNC-BEHAVIOR

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada
NTT Open Source Software Center

От: Euler Taveira
Сообщение: Re: Special role for subscriptions
От: Amit Langote
Сообщение: selecting from partitions and constraint exclusion