Re: Track the amount of time waiting due to cost_delay

От Masahiko Sawada
Тема Re: Track the amount of time waiting due to cost_delay
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On Mon, Jun 10, 2024 at 3:05 PM Bertrand Drouvot
<bertranddrouvot.pg@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi hackers,
>
> During the last pgconf.dev I attended Robert’s presentation about autovacuum and
> it made me remember of an idea I had some time ago: $SUBJECT
>
> Please find attached a patch doing so by adding a new field (aka "time_delayed")
> to the pg_stat_progress_vacuum view.
>
> Currently one can change [autovacuum_]vacuum_cost_delay and
> [auto vacuum]vacuum_cost_limit but has no reliable way to measure the impact of
> the changes on the vacuum duration: one could observe the vacuum duration
> variation but the correlation to the changes is not accurate (as many others
> factors could impact the vacuum duration (load on the system, i/o latency,...)).
>
> This new field reports the time that the vacuum has to sleep due to cost delay:
> it could be useful to 1) measure the impact of the current cost_delay and
> cost_limit settings and 2) when experimenting new values (and then help for
> decision making for those parameters).
>
> The patch is relatively small thanks to the work that has been done in
> f1889729dd (to allow parallel worker to report to the leader).

Thank you for the proposal and the patch. I understand the motivation
of this patch. Beside the point Nathan mentioned, I'm slightly worried
that massive parallel messages could be sent to the leader process
when the cost_limit value is low.

FWIW when I want to confirm the vacuum delay effect, I often use the
information from the DEBUG2 log message in VacuumUpdateCosts()
function. Exposing these data (per-worker dobalance, cost_lmit,
cost_delay, active, and failsafe) somewhere in a view might also be
helpful for users for checking vacuum delay effects. It doesn't mean
to measure the impact of the changes on the vacuum duration, though.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada