Re: [HACKERS] some review comments on logical rep code

От Masahiko Sawada
Тема Re: [HACKERS] some review comments on logical rep code
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

<CAD21AoBU8mZdGx-sTJ3u+qkaej5RPnOuotW4kfeXc4XdDNF8cw@mail.gmail.com>

>>> The following "However" may need a follwoing comma.

>>> I agree this as a whole. But I think that the main issue here is
>>> not false wakeups, but 'possible delay of launching new workers
>>> by 3 minutes at most' (this is centainly a kind of false wakeups,
>>> though). We can live with this failure when using two-paase
>>> commmit, but I think it shouldn't happen silently.
>>>

>>> How about providing AtPrepare_ApplyLauncher(void) like the
>>> follows and calling it in PrepareTransaction?
>>
>> Or we should apply the attached patch and handle the 2PC case properly?
>> I was thinking that it's overkill more than necessary, but that seems not true
>> as far as I implement that.

In my honest opinion, I didn't have a big will that we should handle
even two-phase commit case, because this case is very rare (I could
not image such case) and doesn't mean to lead a harmful result such as
crash of server and returning inconsistent result. it just delays the
launching worker for at most 3 minutes. We also can deal with this for
example by making maximum nap time of apply launcher user-configurable
and document it.
But if we can deal with it by minimum changes like attached your patch I agree.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada
NTT Open Source Software Center