Re: [HACKERS] Increase Vacuum ring buffer.

От Masahiko Sawada
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Increase Vacuum ring buffer.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 5:48 PM, Sokolov Yura
<funny.falcon@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
> On 2017-07-27 11:30, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 2:27 AM, Claudio Freire <klaussfreire@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> I hate to reply to myself, but I wanted to add: in any case, the case
>>> I'm trying to avoid is the case where the FSM *never* gets vacuumed.
>>> That's bad. But it may not be the phenomenon you're experiencing in
>>> your tests.
>>>

>> I think the frequently vacuuming the FSM during long-time vacuum would
>> be worth to have in order to avoid a table bloating. The patch
>> triggers to vacuum the FSM after vacuumed the table and indexes but I
>> think that we can have a similar mechanism for a table with no index.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Masahiko Sawada
>> NIPPON TELEGRAPH AND TELEPHONE CORPORATION
>> NTT Open Source Software Center
>

> I could be wrong, but it looks like table without index doesn't
> suffer that much. Since there is no indices, there is only one stage -
> scanning heap, and no quadratic behavior cause of full dead-tuple array
> and repeating index vacuuming.

The vacuuming the very large table with no index could also take a
long time, and it scans and vacuums blocks one by one. So I imagined
that we can vacuum the FSM once vacuumed a certain amount of blocks.
And that can avoid bloating table during the long-time vacuum.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada
NTT Open Source Software Center