Re: Merging postgresql.conf and postgresql.auto.conf

От Sawada Masahiko
Тема Re: Merging postgresql.conf and postgresql.auto.conf
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 2:24 PM, David Johnston
<david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 10:19 PM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 10:41 AM, David Johnston
>> <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > There would be no parsing upon reading of pg_settings, only lookups.
>> > The existing parsing would simply have its values saved to the catalogs that
>> > will be involved in the underlying pg_setting view query.
>> >
>> So are you telling that whenever we read, save the settings
>> to some catalog (probably a new one)?
>>
>> Will that completely address the problem specified in this thread,
>> as those values could probably be old (when last time server is
>> started or at last SIGHUP time values)?
>>

> Cache invalidation is a hard problem to solve :)
>
> I am reasonably content with showing the user who has just updated their
> postgresql.conf file and boots/SIGHUPs the server to find that said value
> hasn't taken effect that their value is indeed sitting in postgresql.conf
> but that other parts of the system are preempting it from being the active
> value.

I think it is enough to parse and store them only when server is
started and received SIGHUP.
(Probably we should add new function to read(not load) config files to
updated these new values in pg_settings like pg_read_conf())

In idea David suggested, we would not able to know name of included
file in postgresql.conf, and duplicated values in postgresql.conf.
Are they unnecessary?

Regards,

-------
Sawada Masahiko