Re: Skipping logical replication transactions on subscriber side

От Masahiko Sawada
Тема Re: Skipping logical replication transactions on subscriber side
Дата
RE: Skipping logical replication transactions on subscriber side  ("tanghy.fnst@fujitsu.com" <tanghy.fnst@fujitsu.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 12:21 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 5:49 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > How are you thinking to update the skip xid before prepare? If we do
> > > it in the same transaction then the changes in the catalog will be
> > > part of the prepared xact but won't be committed. Now, say if we do it
> > > after prepare, then the situation won't be the same because after
> > > restart the same xact won't appear again.
> >
> > I was thinking to commit the catalog change first in a separate
> > transaction while not updating origin LSN and then prepare an empty
> > transaction while updating origin LSN.
> >

> But, won't it complicate the handling if in the future we try to
> enhance this API such that it skips partial changes like skipping only
> for particular relation(s) or particular operations as discussed
> previously in this thread?

Right. I was thinking that if we accept the situation that the user
has to set skip_xid again in case of the server crashes, we might be
able to accept also the situation that the user has to clear skip_xid
in a case of the server crashes. But it seems the former is less
problematic.

I've attached an updated patch that incorporated all comments I got so far.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada
EDB:  https://www.enterprisedb.com/