Re: [HACKERS] GUC for cleanup indexes threshold.

От Masahiko Sawada
Тема Re: [HACKERS] GUC for cleanup indexes threshold.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

<CAH2-WzkhJhAXD+6DdBp7D8WYLfJ3D0m=AZbGsiw=USUjTmuv-g@mail.gmail.com>
>> On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 3:50 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
>> > Hi,

>> > I think this patch clearly still is in the design stage, and has
>> > received plenty feedback this CF.  I'll therefore move this to the next
>> > commitfest.
>>
>> Does anyone have ideas on a way forward here? I don't, but then I
>> haven't thought about it in detail in several months.
>
> Is the additional storage in metapage to store the current status
> of vaccum is still unacceptable even if it can avoid useless
> full-page scan on indexes especially for stable tables?
>
> Or, how about additional 1 bit in pg_stat_*_index to indicate
> that the index *don't* require vacuum cleanup stage. (default
> value causes cleanup)

You meant that "the next cycle" is the lazy_cleanup_index() function
called by lazy_scan_heap()?

> index_bulk_delete (or ambulkdelete) returns the flag in
> IndexBulkDeleteResult then lazy_scan_heap stores the flag in
> stats and in the next cycle it is looked up to decide the
> necessity of index cleanup.

Could you elaborate about this? For example in btree index, the index
cleanup skips to scan on the index scan if index_bulk_delete has been
called during vacuuming because stats != NULL. So I think we don't
need such a flag.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada