[HACKERS] Logical replication and synchronous replication

От Masahiko Sawada
Тема [HACKERS] Logical replication and synchronous replication
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

As doc of logical decoding said as a note[1], logical replication can
support the synchronous replication with some restriction. But In
addition to this, IIUC in logical replication decoded data is sent to
subscribers only when the commit WAL record is decoded (calls
ReorderBufferCommit) . It means that the local SQL execution and
applying the decoded data on subscriber side are always executed in a
sequential order, and the response time can simply be doubled or even
more (OTOH a good point is that decoded data of aborted transaction is
never sent to subscriber). I think there will be a lot of peoples who
want to use logical synchronous replication but this is a big
restriction for such user. I think we should document it or deal with
it.
Thought?

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/logicaldecoding-synchronous.html

Regards,