Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS)

От Masahiko Sawada
Тема Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS)
Дата
Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Mar 2, 2019 at 5:27 AM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 3:28 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
> > WAL encryption will follow as an additional feature.
>
> I don't think WAL encryption is an optional feature.  You can argue
> about whether it's useful to encrypt the disk files in the first place
> given that there's no privilege boundary between the OS user and the
> database, but a lot of people seem to think it is and maybe they're
> right.  However, who can justify encrypting only SOME of the disk
> files and not others?  I mean, maybe you could justify not encryption
> the SLRU files on the grounds that they probably don't leak much in
> the way of interesting information, but the WAL files certainly do --
> your data is there, just as much as in the data files themselves.

Agreed.

> To be honest, I think there is a lot to like about the patches
> Cybertec has proposed.  Those patches don't have all of the fancy
> key-management stuff that you are proposing here, but maybe that
> stuff, if we want it, could be added, rather than starting over from
> scratch.  It seems to me that those patches get a lot of things right.
> In particular, it looked to me when I looked at them like they made a
> pretty determined effort to encrypt every byte that might go down to
> the disk.  It seems to me that you if you want encryption, you want
> that.

Agreed. I think the patch lacks the key management stuff: 2-tier key
architecture and integration of postgres with key management systems.
I'd like to work together and can propose the patch of key management
stuff to the proposed patch.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada