Re: pg16b2: REINDEX segv on null pointer in RemoveFromWaitQueue

От Masahiko Sawada
Тема Re: pg16b2: REINDEX segv on null pointer in RemoveFromWaitQueue
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jul 12, 2023 at 8:52 PM Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 10, 2023 at 09:01:37PM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> > An instance compiled locally, without assertions, failed like this:

> > => REINDEX was running, with parallel workers, but deadlocked with
> > ANALYZE, and then crashed.
> >
> > It looks like parallel workers are needed to hit this issue.
> > I'm not sure if the issue is specific to extended stats - probably not.
> >
> > I reproduced the crash with manual REINDEX+ANALYZE, and with assertions (which
> > were not hit), and on a more recent commit (1124cb2cf).  The crash is hit about
> > 30% of the time when running a loop around REINDEX and then also running
> > ANALYZE.
> >
> > I hope someone has a hunch where to look; so far, I wasn't able to create a
> > minimal reproducer.
>
> I was able to reproduce this in isolation by reloading data into a test
> instance, ANALYZEing the DB to populate pg_statistic_ext_data (so it's
> over 3MB in size), and then REINDEXing the stats_ext index in a loop
> while ANALYZEing a table with extended stats.
>
> I still don't have a minimal reproducer, but on a hunch I found that
> this fails at 5764f611e but not its parent.
>
> commit 5764f611e10b126e09e37fdffbe884c44643a6ce
> Author: Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>
> Date:   Wed Jan 18 11:41:14 2023 -0800
>
>     Use dlist/dclist instead of PROC_QUEUE / SHM_QUEUE for heavyweight locks

Good catch. I didn't realize this email but while investigating the
same issue that has been reported recently[1], I reached the same
commit. I've sent my analysis and a patch to fix this issue there.
Andres, since this issue seems to be relevant with your commit
5764f611e, could you please look at this issue and my patch?

Regards,

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAD21AoDs7vzK7NErse7xTruqY-FXmM%2B3K00SdBtMcQhiRNkoeQ%40mail.gmail.com

--
Masahiko Sawada