Re: Logical Replication of sequences

От Masahiko Sawada
Тема Re: Logical Replication of sequences
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun 10, 2024 at 3:14 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 7, 2024 at 7:30 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Right.

> > > Copying sequence data works differently than replicating table data
> > > (initial data copy and logical replication). So I thought the
> > > copy_sequence option (or whatever better name) always does both
> > > updating pre-existing sequences and adding new sequences. REFRESH
> > > PUBLICATION updates the tables to be subscribed, so we also update or
> > > add sequences associated to these tables.
> > >

> > Are you imagining the behavior for sequences associated with tables
> > differently than the ones defined by the CREATE SEQUENCE .. command? I
> > was thinking that users would associate sequences with publications
> > similar to what we do for tables for both cases. For example, they
> > need to explicitly mention the sequences they want to replicate by
> > commands like CREATE PUBLICATION ... FOR SEQUENCE s1, s2, ...; CREATE
> > PUBLICATION ... FOR ALL SEQUENCES, or CREATE PUBLICATION ... FOR
> > SEQUENCES IN SCHEMA sch1;
> >
> > In this, variants FOR ALL SEQUENCES and SEQUENCES IN SCHEMA sch1
> > should copy both the explicitly defined sequences and sequences
> > defined with the tables. Do you think a different variant for just
> > copying sequences implicitly associated with tables (say for identity
> > columns)?
>
> Oh, I was thinking that your proposal was to copy literally all
> sequences by REPLICA/REFRESH SEQUENCE command. But it seems to make
> sense to explicitly specify the sequences they want to replicate. It
> also means that they can create a publication that has only sequences.
> In this case, even if they create a subscription for that publication,
> we don't launch any apply workers for that subscription. Right?
>
> Also, given that the main use case (at least as the first step) is
> version upgrade, do we really need to support SEQUENCES IN SCHEMA and
> even FOR SEQUENCE?

Also, I guess that specifying individual sequences might not be easy
to use for users in some cases. For sequences owned by a column of a
table, users might want to specify them altogether, rather than
separately. For example, CREATE PUBLICATION ... FOR TABLE tab1 WITH
SEQUENCES means to add the table tab1 and its sequences to the
publication. For other sequences (i.e., not owned by any tables),
users might want to specify them individually.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada