Re: Make COPY format extendable: Extract COPY TO format implementations

От Masahiko Sawada
Тема Re: Make COPY format extendable: Extract COPY TO format implementations
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jan 10, 2024 at 12:00 PM Sutou Kouhei <kou@clear-code.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > to speak the Postgres protocol directly.  Perhaps a custom COPY
> > implementation would be OK with how things are in libpq, as well,
> > tweaking its way through with just text or binary.
>
> Can we defer this discussion after we commit a basic custom
> COPY format handler mechanism?
>
> >> 2. Do we need more tries for design discussion for the first
> >>    implementation? If we need, what should we try?
> >
> > A makeNode() is used with an allocation in the current memory context
> > in the function returning the handler.  I would have assume that this
> > stuff returns a handler as a const struct like table AMs.
>
> If we use this approach, we can't use the Sawada-san's
> idea[1] that provides a convenient API to hide
> CopyFormatRoutine internal. The idea provides
> MakeCopy{To,From}FormatRoutine(). They return a new
> CopyFormatRoutine* with suitable is_from member. They can't
> use static const CopyFormatRoutine because they may be called
> multiple times in the same process.
>
> We can use the satic const struct approach by choosing one
> of the followings:
>
> 1. Use separated function for COPY {TO,FROM} format handlers
>    as I suggested.
>
> 2. Don't provide convenient API. Developers construct
>    CopyFormatRoutine by themselves. But it may be a bit
>    tricky.
>
> 3. Similar to 2. but don't use a bit tricky approach (don't
>    embed Copy{To,From}FormatRoutine nodes into
>    CopyFormatRoutine).
>
>    Use unified function for COPY {TO,FROM} format handlers
>    but CopyFormatRoutine always have both of COPY {TO,FROM}
>    format routines and these routines aren't nodes:
>
>    typedef struct CopyToFormatRoutine
>    {
>            CopyToStart_function start_fn;
>            CopyToOneRow_function onerow_fn;
>            CopyToEnd_function end_fn;
>    } CopyToFormatRoutine;
>
>    /* XXX: just copied from COPY TO routines */
>    typedef struct CopyFromFormatRoutine
>    {
>            CopyFromStart_function start_fn;
>            CopyFromOneRow_function onerow_fn;
>            CopyFromEnd_function end_fn;
>    } CopyFromFormatRoutine;
>
>    typedef struct CopyFormatRoutine
>    {
>            NodeTag              type;
>
>            CopyToFormatRoutine     to_routine;
>            CopyFromFormatRoutine           from_routine;
>    } CopyFormatRoutine;
>
>    ----
>
>    static const CopyFormatRoutine testfmt_handler = {
>        .type = T_CopyFormatRoutine,
>        .to_routine = {
>            .start_fn = testfmt_copyto_start,
>            .onerow_fn = testfmt_copyto_onerow,
>            .end_fn = testfmt_copyto_end,
>        },
>        .from_routine = {
>            .start_fn = testfmt_copyfrom_start,
>            .onerow_fn = testfmt_copyfrom_onerow,
>            .end_fn = testfmt_copyfrom_end,
>        },
>    };
>
>    PG_FUNCTION_INFO_V1(copy_testfmt_handler);

It's a just idea but the fourth idea is to provide a convenient macro
to make it easy to construct the CopyFormatRoutine. For example,

#define COPYTO_ROUTINE(...) (Node *) &(CopyToFormatRoutine) {__VA_ARGS__}

static const CopyFormatRoutine testfmt_copyto_handler = {
    .type = T_CopyFormatRoutine,
    .is_from = true,
    .routine = COPYTO_ROUTINE (
        .start_fn = testfmt_copyto_start,
        .onerow_fn = testfmt_copyto_onerow,
        .end_fn = testfmt_copyto_end
        )
};

Datum
copy_testfmt_handler(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS)
{
    PG_RETURN_POINTER(& testfmt_copyto_handler);
}

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada