Re: Connection slots reserved for replication

От Masahiko Sawada
Тема Re: Connection slots reserved for replication
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 9:30 PM, Alexander Kukushkin <cyberdemn@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello hackers,
>
> at the moment it is possible to reserve some amount of connection slots for
> superusers and this behavior is controlled by superuser_reserved_connections
> configuration parameter with the default value = 3.
>
> In case if all non-reserved connection slots are busy, replica fails to open
> a new connection and start streaming from the primary. Such behavior is very
> bad if you want to run postgresql HA clusters

Yeah, that's also bad if we want to use pg_baseback in the situation.

> Initially, replication connections required superuser privileges (in 9.0)
> and therefore they were deliberately excluded from
> superuser_reserved_connections. Basically that means it has never been
> possible to reserve come connection slots for replication connections.
>
> Later (9.1) it became possible to create a user with REPLICATION and
> NOSUPERUSER options, but comment in the postinit.c still tells that
> superuser is required.
>
> Now I think now it is a time to go further, and we should make it possible
> to reserve some connection slots for replication in a manner similar to
> superuser connections.

+1

> How should it work:
> 1. If we know that we got the replication connection, we just should make
> sure that there are at least superuser_reserved_connections free connection
> slots are available.
> 2. If we know that this is neither superuser nor replication connection, we
> should check that there are at least (superuser_reserved_connections +
> NumWalSenders() - max_wal_senders) connection slots are available.

You wanted to mean (superuser_reserved_connections + max_wal_senders -
NumWalSenders()) in the second point?

> And the last question how to control the number of reserved slots for
> replication. There are two options:
> 1. We can introduce a new GUC for that: replication_reserved_connections
> 2. Or we can just use the value of max_wal_senders
>
> Personally, I more like the second option.

One argrable point of the second option could be that it breaks
backward compatibility of the parameter configurations. That is, the
existing systems need to re-configure the max_connections. So it might
be better to take the first option with
replication_reservd_connections = 0 by default.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada
NTT Open Source Software Center