Re: [HACKERS] More stats about skipped vacuums

От Masahiko Sawada
Тема Re: [HACKERS] More stats about skipped vacuums
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
<CA+Tgmob2tuqvEZfHV2kLC-xobsZxDWGdc1WmjLg5+iOPLa0NHg@mail.gmail.com>
>> On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 1:49 AM, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI
>> <horiguchi.kyotaro@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
>> > Hmmm. Okay, we must make stats collector more effeicient if we
>> > want to have additional counters with smaller significance in the
>> > table stats. Currently sizeof(PgStat_StatTabEntry) is 168
>> > bytes. The whole of the patchset increases it to 232 bytes. Thus
>> > the size of a stat file for a database with 10000 tables
>> > increases from about 1.7MB to 2.4MB.  DSM and shared dynahash is
>> > not dynamically expandable so placing stats on shared hash
>> > doesn't seem effective. Stats as a regular table could work but
>> > it seems too-much.
>>
>> dshash, which is already committed, is both DSM-based and dynamically
>> expandable.
>
> Yes, I forgot about that. We can just copy memory blocks to take
> a snapshot of stats.
>
>> > Is it acceptable that adding a new section containing this new
>> > counters, which is just loaded as a byte sequence and parsing
>> > (and filling the corresponding hash) is postponed until a counter
>> > in the section is really requested?  The new counters need to be
>> > shown in a separate stats view (maybe named pg_stat_vacuum).
>>
>> Still makes the stats file bigger.
>
> I considered dshash for pgstat.c and the attached is a *PoC*
> patch, which is not full-fledged and just working under a not so
> concurrent situation.
>
> - Made stats collector an auxiliary process. A crash of stats
>   collector leads to a whole-server restarting.
>
> - dshash lacks capability of sequential scan so added it.
>
> - Also added snapshot function to dshash. It just copies
>   unerlying DSA segments into local memory but currently it
>   doesn't aquire dshash-level locks at all. I tried the same
>   thing with resize but it leads to very quick exhaustion of
>   LWLocks. An LWLock for the whole dshash would be required. (and
>   it is also useful to resize() and sequential scan.
>
> - The current dshash doesn't shrink at all. Such a feature also
>   will be required. (A server restart causes a shrink of hashes
>   in the same way as before but bloat dshash requires copying
>   more than necessary size of memory on takeing a snapshot.)
>
> The size of DSA is about 1MB at minimum. Copying entry-by-entry
> into (non-ds) hash might be better than copying underlying DSA as
> a whole, and DSA/DSHASH snapshot brings a kind of dirty..
>

> Does anyone give me opinions or suggestions?

The implementation of autovacuum work-item has been changed (by commit
31ae1638) because dynamic shared memory is not portable enough. IIUC
this patch is going to do the similar thing. Since stats collector is
also a critical part of the server, should we consider whether we can
change it? Or the portability problem is not relevant with this patch?

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada
NTT Open Source Software Center

Сообщение: Re: update tuple routing and triggers
Сообщение: Re: update tuple routing and triggers