Re: Skipping logical replication transactions on subscriber side

От Masahiko Sawada
Тема Re: Skipping logical replication transactions on subscriber side
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 7:58 PM Greg Nancarrow <gregn4422@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 4:00 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I've attached updated patches.
> >

> Some comments for the v16-0003 patch:

Thank you for the comments!

> (1) doc/src/sgml/logical-replication.sgml
>
> The output from "SELECT * FROM pg_stat_subscription_errors;" still
> shows "last_failed_time" instead of "last_error_time".

Fixed.

> doc/src/sgml/ref/alter_subscription.sgml
> (2)
>
> Suggested update (and fix typo: restrited -> restricted):
>
> BEFORE:
> +          Setting and resetting of <literal>skip_xid</literal> option is
> +          restrited to superusers.
> AFTER:
> +          The setting and resetting of the
> <literal>skip_xid</literal> option is
> +          restricted to superusers.

Fixed.

> (3)
> Suggested improvement to the wording:
>
> BEFORE:
> +          incoming change or by skipping the whole transaction.  This option
> +          specifies transaction ID that logical replication worker skips to
> +          apply.  The logical replication worker skips all data modification
> AFTER:
> +          incoming changes or by skipping the whole transaction.  This option
> +          specifies the ID of the transaction whose application is to
> be skipped
> +          by the logical replication worker. The logical replication worker
> +          skips all data modification

Updated.

> (4) src/backend/replication/logical/worker.c
>
> Suggested improvement to the comment wording:
>
> BEFORE:
> + * Stop the skipping transaction if enabled. Otherwise, commit the changes
> AFTER:
> + * Stop skipping the transaction changes, if enabled. Otherwise,
> commit the changes

Fixed.

> (5) skip_xid value validation
>
> The validation of the specified skip_xid XID value isn't great.
> For example, the following value are accepted:
>
>     ALTER SUBSCRIPTION sub SET (skip_xid='123abcz');
>     ALTER SUBSCRIPTION sub SET (skip_xid='99$@*');

Hmm, this is probably a problem of xid data type. For example, we can do like:

postgres(1:12686)=# select 'aa123'::xid;
 xid
-----
   0
(1 row)

postgres(1:12686)=# select '123aa'::xid;
 xid
-----
 123
(1 row)

It seems a problem to me. Perhaps we can fix it in a separate patch.
What do you think?

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada