Re: Excessive number of replication slots for 12->14 logical replication

От Masahiko Sawada
Тема Re: Excessive number of replication slots for 12->14 logical replication
Дата
Re: Excessive number of replication slots for 12->14 logical replication  (Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-bugs
On Fri, Aug 12, 2022 at 12:44 PM Ajin Cherian <itsajin@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 12, 2022 at 11:28 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Fixed this.
> >
> > Thank you for updating the patch.
> >
> >                  /*
> > -                 * Cleanup the tablesync slot.
> > +                 * Cleanup the origin tracking and tablesync slot.
> >                   *
> >                   * This has to be done after updating the state
> > because otherwise if
> >                   * there is an error while doing the database
> > operations we won't be
> >                   * able to rollback dropped slot.
> >                   */
> >
> > The first paragraph mentioned the cleanup of both tablesync slot and
> > origin, but the second paragraph mentioned only the tablesync slot
> > despite "this" probably meaning the cleanup of both. I think that we
> > can just add the comment for dropping the origin while not touching
> > the comment for dropping the slot.
> >
> > The rest looks good to me.
> >

> Updated.

Thank you for updating the patch.

        /*
-        * Cleanup the tablesync slot.
+        * Cleanup the origin tracking and tablesync slot.
         *
         * This has to be done after updating the state because otherwise if
         * there is an error while doing the database operations we won't be
-        * able to rollback dropped slot.
+        * able to rollback the dropped slot. Origin tracking is dropped before
+        * the tablesync slot is dropped.
         */

ISTM that the "This" in the first sentence in the second paragraph
still indicates the cleanup of the origin tracking and table sync
slot. How about not having the common comment for both like the patch
I've attached? In addition to this change, I moved the code to drop
the origin before stopping the streaming so that it can be close to
the slot drop. But feel free to revert this change.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada
EDB:  https://www.enterprisedb.com/

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: Excessive number of replication slots for 12->14 logical replication
Сообщение: Re: Excessive number of replication slots for 12->14 logical replication