Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS)

От Masahiko Sawada
Тема Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 10:01 AM Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> * Bruce Momjian (bruce@momjian.us) wrote:

> > > I still feel that we need to have per table/tablespace keys although
> > > it might not be the first implementation. I think the safeness of both
> > > table/tablespace level and cluster level would be almost the same but
> > > the former would have an advantage in terms of operation and
> > > performance.
> >
> > I assume you are talking about my option #1.  I can see if you only need
> > a few tables encrypted, e.g., credit card numbers, it can be excessive
> > to encrypt the entire cluster.  (I think you would need to encrypt
> > pg_statistic too.)
>
> Or we would need a seperate encrypted pg_statistic, or a way to encrypt
> certain entries inside pg_statistic.

I think we also need to encrypt other system catalogs. For instance
pg_procs might also have sensitive data in prosrc column. So I think
it's better to encrypt all system catalogs rather than picking up some
catalogs since it would not be a big overhead. Since system catalogs
are created during CREATE DATABASE by copying files tablespace level
or database level encryption would be well suited with system catalog
encryption.

> [...]
> that selective encryption will require more work to implement, in part
> because an API needs to be put in place and we need to deal with
> multiple keys, etc.  I don't think anyone thinks that'll be "easier".

> > > I think that we can also provide a way to pass encryption key directly
> > > to postmaster rather than using passphrase. Since it's common that
> > > user stores keys in KMS it's useful if we can do that.
> >
> > Why would it not be simpler to have the cluster_passphrase_command run
> > whatever command-line program it wants?  If you don't want to use a
> > shell command, create an executable and call that.
>
> Having direct integration with a KMS would certainly be valuable, and I
> don't see a reason to deny users that option if someone would like to
> spend time implementing it- in addition to a simpler mechanism such as a
> passphrase command, which I believe is what was being suggested here.

> > > I think that big benefit is that PostgreSQL can seamlessly work with
> > > external services such as KMS. For instance, when key rotation,
> > > PostgreSQL can register new key to KMS and use it, and it can remove
> > > keys when it no longer necessary. That is, it can enable PostgreSQL to
> > > not only not only getting key from KMS but also registering and
> > > removing keys. And we also can decrypt MDEK in KMS instead of doing in
> > > PostgreSQL which is more safety. In addition, once someone create the
> > > plugin library of an external services individual projects don't need
> > > to create that.
> >
> > I think the big win for an external library is when you don't want the
> > overhead of calling an external program.  For example, we certainly
> > would not want to call an external program while processing a query.  Do
> > we have any such requirements for encryption, especially since we only
> > are going to allow offline mode for encryption mode changes and key
> > rotation in the first version?
>
> The strong push for a stripped-down and "first version" that is
> extremely limited is really grating on me as it seems we have quite a
> few people who are interested in making progress here and a small number
> of others who are pushing back and putting up limitations that "the
> first version can't have X" or "the first version can't have Y".
>
> I'm all for incremental development, but we need to be thinking about
> the larger picture when we develop features and make sure that we don't
> bake in assumptions that will later become very difficult for us to work
> ourselves out of (especially when it comes to user interface and things
> like GUCs...), but where we decide to draw a line shouldn't be based on
> assumptions about what's going to be difficult and what isn't- let's let
> those who want to work on this capability work on it and as we see the
> progress, if there's issues which come up with a specific area that seem
> likely to prove difficult to include, then we can consider backing away
> from that while keeping it in mind while doing further development.

I totally agree. That's why I stated the difficulty to support finer
granularity encryption after supported cluster wide encryption, and
worried the backward compatibility. I think we need to think
implementing what users want while keeping it simple as much as
possible even if it's complex.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada
NTT Open Source Software Center

Сообщение: Re: POC: Cleaning up orphaned files using undo logs
Сообщение: Re: POC: Cleaning up orphaned files using undo logs