Re: Perform streaming logical transactions by background workers and parallel apply

От Masahiko Sawada
Тема Re: Perform streaming logical transactions by background workers and parallel apply
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Apr 8, 2022 at 6:14 PM houzj.fnst@fujitsu.com
<houzj.fnst@fujitsu.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, April 6, 2022 1:20 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > In this email, I would like to discuss allowing streaming logical
> > transactions (large in-progress transactions) by background workers
> > and parallel apply in general. The goal of this work is to improve the
> > performance of the apply work in logical replication.
> >
> > Currently, for large transactions, the publisher sends the data in
> > multiple streams (changes divided into chunks depending upon
> > logical_decoding_work_mem), and then on the subscriber-side, the apply
> > worker writes the changes into temporary files and once it receives
> > the commit, it read from the file and apply the entire transaction. To
> > improve the performance of such transactions, we can instead allow
> > them to be applied via background workers. There could be multiple
> > ways to achieve this:
> >
> > Approach-1: Assign a new bgworker (if available) as soon as the xact's
> > first stream came and the main apply worker will send changes to this
> > new worker via shared memory. We keep this worker assigned till the
> > transaction commit came and also wait for the worker to finish at
> > commit. This preserves commit ordering and avoid writing to and
> > reading from file in most cases. We still need to spill if there is no
> > worker available. We also need to allow stream_stop to complete by the
> > background worker to finish it to avoid deadlocks because T-1's
> > current stream of changes can update rows in conflicting order with
> > T-2's next stream of changes.
> >

> Attach the POC patch for the Approach-1 of "Perform streaming logical
> transactions by background workers". The patch is still a WIP patch as
> there are serval TODO items left, including:
>
> * error handling for bgworker
> * support for SKIP the transaction in bgworker
> * handle the case when there is no more worker available
>   (might need spill the data to the temp file in this case)
> * some potential bugs

Are you planning to support "Transaction dependency" Amit mentioned in
his first mail in this patch? IIUC since the background apply worker
applies the streamed changes as soon as receiving them from the main
apply worker, a conflict that doesn't happen in the current streaming
logical replication could happen.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada