Re: [HACKERS] Restricting maximum keep segments by repslots

От Masahiko Sawada
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Restricting maximum keep segments by repslots
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
<CAD21AoBgCMc9bp2cADMFm40qoEXxbomdu1dtj5EaFSAS4BtAyw@mail.gmail.com>

<CAD21AoD0rChq7wQE=_o95quopcQGjcVG9omwdH07nT5cm81hzg@mail.gmail.com>

<CAD21AoDayePWwu4t=VPP5P1QFDSBvks1d8j76bXp5rbXoPbZcA@mail.gmail.com>

>> > Perhaps you need a fresh database cluster.
>>
>> I meant this was a doc update in 0004 patch but it's fixed in v7 patch.
>
> Wow..
>
>> While testing the v7 patch, I got the following result with
>> max_slot_wal_keep_size = 5GB and without wal_keep_segments setting.
>>
>> =# select pg_current_wal_lsn(), slot_name, restart_lsn,
>> confirmed_flush_lsn, wal_status, remain, pg_size_pretty(remain) from
>> pg_replication_slots ;
>>  pg_current_wal_lsn | slot_name | restart_lsn | confirmed_flush_lsn |
>> wal_status |  remain  | pg_size_pretty
>> --------------------+-----------+-------------+---------------------+------------+----------+----------------
>>  2/A30000D8         | l1        | 1/AC000910  | 1/AC000948          |
>> streaming  | 16777000 | 16 MB
>> (1 row)
>>
>> The actual distance between the slot limit and the slot 'l1' is about
>> 1GB(5GB - (2/A30000D8 - 1/AC000910)) but the system view says the
>> remain is only 16MB. For the calculation of resetBytes in
>> GetOldestKeepSegment(), the current patch seems to calculate the
>> distance between the minSlotLSN and restartLSN when (curLSN -
>> max_slot_wal_keep_size) < minSlotLSN. However, I think that the actual
>> remained bytes until the slot lost the required WAL is (restartLSN -
>> (currLSN - max_slot_wal_keep_size)) in that case.
>
> Oops! That's a silly thinko or rather a typo. It's apparently
> wrong that keepSegs instead of limitSegs is involved in making
> the calculation of restBytes. Just using limitSegs makes it
> sane. It's a pity that I removed the remain from regression test.
>
> Fixed that and added an item for remain calculation in the TAP
> test. I expect that pg_size_pretty() adds some robustness to the
> test.
>
>> Also, 0004 patch needs to be rebased on the current HEAD.
>
> Done. Please find the v8 attached.

Thank you for updating! Here is the review comment for v8 patch.

+            /*
+             * This slot still has all required segments. Calculate how many
+             * LSN bytes the slot has until it loses restart_lsn.
+             */
+            fragbytes = wal_segment_size - (currLSN % wal_segment_size);
+            XLogSegNoOffsetToRecPtr(restartSeg + limitSegs - currSeg,
fragbytes,
+                                    wal_segment_size, *restBytes);

For the calculation of fragbytes, I think we should calculate the
fragment bytes of restartLSN instead. The the formula "restartSeg +
limitSegs - currSeg" means the # of segment between restartLSN and the
limit by the new parameter. I don't think that the summation of it and
fragment bytes of currenLSN is correct. As the following result
(max_slot_wal_keep_size is 128MB) shows, the remain column shows the
actual remains + 16MB (get_bytes function returns the value of
max_slot_wal_keep_size in bytes).

postgres(1:29447)=# select pg_current_wal_lsn(), slot_name,
restart_lsn, wal_status, remain, pg_size_pretty(remain),
pg_size_pretty(get_bytes('max_slot_wal_keep_size') -
(pg_current_wal_lsn() - restart_lsn)) from pg_replication_slots ;
 pg_current_wal_lsn | slot_name | restart_lsn | wal_status |  remain
| pg_size_pretty | pg_size_pretty
--------------------+-----------+-------------+------------+-----------+----------------+----------------
 0/1D0001F0         | l1        | 0/1D0001B8  | streaming  | 150994448
| 144 MB         | 128 MB
(1 row)

---
If the wal_keeps_segments is greater than max_slot_wal_keep_size, the
wal_keep_segments doesn't affect the value of the remain column.

postgres(1:48422)=# show max_slot_wal_keep_size ;
 max_slot_wal_keep_size
------------------------
 128MB
(1 row)

postgres(1:48422)=# show wal_keep_segments ;
 wal_keep_segments
-------------------
 5000
(1 row)

postgres(1:48422)=# select slot_name, wal_status, remain,
pg_size_pretty(remain) as remain  from pg_replication_slots ;
 slot_name | wal_status |  remain   | remain
-----------+------------+-----------+--------
 l1        | streaming  | 150994728 | 144 MB
(1 row)

*** After consumed over 128MB WAL ***

postgres(1:48422)=# select slot_name, wal_status, remain,
pg_size_pretty(remain) as remain  from pg_replication_slots ;
 slot_name | wal_status | remain | remain
-----------+------------+--------+---------
 l1        | streaming  |      0 | 0 bytes
(1 row)

---
For the cosmetic stuff there are code where need the line break.

 static void CheckPointGuts(XLogRecPtr checkPointRedo, int flags);
+static XLogSegNo GetOldestKeepSegment(XLogRecPtr currpos, XLogRecPtr
minSlotPtr, XLogRecPtr restartLSN, uint64 *restBytes);
 static void KeepLogSeg(XLogRecPtr recptr, XLogSegNo *logSegNo);
 static XLogRecPtr XLogGetReplicationSlotMinimumLSN(void);

and

 +static XLogSegNo
+GetOldestKeepSegment(XLogRecPtr currLSN, XLogRecPtr minSlotLSN,
XLogRecPtr restartLSN, uint64 *restBytes)
+{

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada