Re: Improve eviction algorithm in ReorderBuffer

От Masahiko Sawada
Тема Re: Improve eviction algorithm in ReorderBuffer
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Dec 17, 2023 at 11:40 AM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 15, 2023 at 11:29 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Dec 15, 2023 at 12:37 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > On Wed, Dec 13, 2023 at 6:01 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > >

> > > IIUC, you are giving preference to multiple list ideas as compared to
> > > (a) because you don't need to adjust the list each time the
> > > transaction size changes, is that right?
> >
> > Right.
> >
> > >  If so, I think there is a
> > > cost to keep that data structure up-to-date but it can help in
> > > reducing the number of times we need to serialize.
> >
> > Yes, there is a trade-off.
> >
> > What I don't want to do is to keep all transactions ordered since it's
> > too costly. The proposed idea uses multiple lists to keep all
> > transactions roughly ordered. The maintenance cost would be cheap
> > since each list is unordered.
> >
> > It might be a good idea to have a threshold to switch how to pick the
> > largest transaction based on the number of transactions in the
> > reorderbuffer. If there are many transactions, we can use the proposed
> > algorithm to find a possibly-largest transaction, otherwise use the
> > current way.
> >

> Yeah, that makes sense.

> > > Which memory limit are you referring to here? Is it logical_decoding_work_mem?
> >
> > logical_decoding_work_mem.

> > > Yeah, can't we maintain a single list of all xacts that are consuming
> > > equal to or greater than the memory limit? Considering that the memory
> > > limit is logical_decoding_work_mem, then I think just picking one
> > > transaction to serialize would be sufficient.
> >
> > IIUC we serialize a transaction when the sum of all transactions'
> > memory usage in the reorderbuffer exceeds logical_decoding_work_mem.
> > In what cases are multiple transactions consuming equal to or greater
> > than the logical_decoding_work_mem?
> >

> The individual transactions shouldn't cross
> 'logical_decoding_work_mem'. I got a bit confused by your proposal to
> maintain the lists: "...splitting it into two lists: transactions
> consuming 5% < and 5% >=  of the memory limit, and checking the 5% >=
> list preferably.". In the previous sentence, what did you mean by
> transactions consuming 5% >= of the memory limit? I got the impression
> that you are saying to maintain them in a separate transaction list
> which doesn't seems to be the case.

I wanted to mean that there are three lists in total: the first one
maintain the transactions consuming more than 10% of
logical_decoding_work_mem, the second one maintains other transactions
consuming more than or equal to 5% of logical_decoding_work_mem, and
the third one maintains other transactions consuming more than 0 and
less than 5% of logical_decoding_work_mem.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada