Re: Replication slot stats misgivings

От Masahiko Sawada
Тема Re: Replication slot stats misgivings
Дата
Re: Replication slot stats misgivings
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 9:36 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 5:29 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:

> > BTW doesn't it confuse users that stream/spill bytes are not in
> > addition to total_bytes? User will need to do "total_bytes +
> > spill/stream_bytes" to know the actual total amount of data sent to
> > the decoding output plugin, is that right?
> >

> No, total_bytes includes the spill/stream bytes. So, the user doesn't
> need to do any calculation to compute totel_bytes sent to output
> plugin.

The following test for the latest v8 patch seems to show different.
total_bytes is 1808 whereas spill_bytes is 13200000. Am I missing
something?

postgres(1:85969)=# select pg_create_logical_replication_slot('s',
'test_decoding');
 pg_create_logical_replication_slot
------------------------------------
 (s,0/1884468)
(1 row)

postgres(1:85969)=# create table a (i int);
CREATE TABLE
postgres(1:85969)=# insert into a select generate_series(1, 100000);
INSERT 0 100000
postgres(1:85969)=# set logical_decoding_work_mem to 64;
SET
postgres(1:85969)=# select * from pg_stat_replication_slots ;
 slot_name | total_txns | total_bytes | spill_txns | spill_count |
spill_bytes | stream_txns | stream_count | stream_bytes | stats_reset

-----------+------------+-------------+------------+-------------+-------------+-------------+--------------+--------------+-------------
 s         |          0 |           0 |          0 |           0 |
      0 |           0 |            0 |            0 |
(1 row)

postgres(1:85969)=# select count(*) from
pg_logical_slot_peek_changes('s', NULL, NULL);
 count
--------
 100004
(1 row)

postgres(1:85969)=# select * from pg_stat_replication_slots ;
 slot_name | total_txns | total_bytes | spill_txns | spill_count |
spill_bytes | stream_txns | stream_count | stream_bytes | stats_reset

 s         |          2 |        1808 |          1 |         202 |
13200000 |           0 |            0 |            0 |
(1 row)

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada