Re: [HACKERS] [PostgreSQL 10] default of hot_standby should be "on"?

От Masahiko Sawada
Тема Re: [HACKERS] [PostgreSQL 10] default of hot_standby should be "on"?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 9:54 AM, Huong Dangminh
<huo-dangminh@ys.jp.nec.com> wrote:
> Thanks all for your comments.
>
>> Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> writes:
>> > +1. I definitely think we should do it, and 10 would be the time to do
>> it.
>>
>> Agreed.  It's mainly a historical accident that the default is what it
>> is,
>> I think.
>>
>> > I wonder if we should also consider changing the standby error message
>> > be a WARNING instead of an ERROR. So that if you try to start up a standby
>> > with hot_standby=on but master with wal_level=replica it would turn into
>> > cold standby.
>>
>> I'm -1 for that: if you fat-finger the configuration, you should be told
>> about it, not have the system start up in an unintended mode that lacks
>> critical functionality.
>>
>>                       regards, tom lane
>
> I attached the patch which also update manual as the mention of sawada-san.

Thank you for updating the patch. Also maybe we can update line in
PostgresNode.pm where hot_standby is set to on explicitly.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada
NTT Open Source Software Center