Re: Support for N synchronous standby servers - take 2

От Sawada Masahiko
Тема Re: Support for N synchronous standby servers - take 2
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 9:18 PM, Michael Paquier
<michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 8:55 PM, Beena Emerson <memissemerson@gmail.com> wrote:
>> There was a discussion on support for N synchronous standby servers started
>> by Michael. Refer
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/CAB7nPqR9c84ig0ZUvhMQAMq53VQsD4rC82vYci4Dr27PVOFf9w@mail.gmail.com
>> . The use of hooks and dedicated language was suggested, however, it seemed
>> to be an overkill for the scenario and there was no consensus on this.
>> Exploring GUC-land was preferred.
>
> Cool.
>
>> Please find attached a patch,  built on Michael's patch from above mentioned
>> thread, which supports choosing different number of nodes from each set i.e.
>> k nodes from set 1, l nodes from set 2, so on.
>> The format of synchronous_standby_names has been updated to standby name
>> followed by the required count separated by hyphen. Ex: 'aa-1, bb-3'.  The
>> transaction waits for all the specified number of standby in each group. Any
>> extra nodes with the same name will be considered potential. The special
>> entry * for the standby name is also supported.
>
> I don't think that this is going in the good direction, what was
> suggested mainly by Robert was to use a micro-language that would
> allow far more extensibility that what you are proposing. See for
> example CA+TgmobPWoeNMMEpfx0jWRvQufxVbqRv26Ezq_XHk21GxrXo9w@mail.gmail.com
> for some ideas. IMO, before writing any patch in this area we should
> find a clear consensus on what we want to do. Also, unrelated to this
> patch, we should really get first the patch implementing the... Hum...
> infrastructure for regression tests regarding replication and
> archiving to be able to have actual tests for this feature (working on
> it for next CF).

The dedicated language for multiple sync replication would be more
extensibility as you said, but I think there are not a lot of user who
want to or should use this.
IMHO such a dedicated extensible feature could be extension module,
i.g. contrib. And we could implement more simpler feature into
PostgreSQL core with some restriction.

Regards,

-------
Sawada Masahiko