Re: Synch failover WAS: Support for N synchronous standby servers - take 2

От Sawada Masahiko
Тема Re: Synch failover WAS: Support for N synchronous standby servers - take 2
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jul 3, 2015 at 6:23 PM, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 3, 2015 at 5:59 PM, Sawada Masahiko <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yeah, quorum commit is helpful for minimizing data loss in comparison
>> with today replication.
>> But in this your case, how can we know which server we should use as
>> the next master server, after local data center got down?
>> If we choose a wrong one, we would get the data loss.
>
> Check the progress of each server, e.g., by using
> pg_last_xlog_replay_location(),
> and choose the server which is ahead of as new master.

Thanks. So we can choice the next master server using by checking the
progress of each server, if hot standby is enabled.
And a such procedure is needed even today replication.

I think that the #2 problem which is Josh pointed out seems to be solved;   1. I need to ensure that data is replicated
toX places.   2. I need to *know* which places data was synchronously replicated

to when the master goes down.
And we can address #1 problem using quorum commit.

Thought?

Regards,

--
Sawada Masahiko