Re: LOCK TABLE is not allowed in a non-volatile function

От Eliot Gable
Тема Re: LOCK TABLE is not allowed in a non-volatile function
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 1:01 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Eliot Gable <egable+pgsql-general@gmail.com> writes:
> While attempting to reproduce this issue in a sanitized set of tables,
> functions, and triggers, I was able to locate the issue. Apparently I did
> have another function call in there inside my summarize_individuals()
> function and that other function was marked as STABLE while trying to grab
> a SHARE lock on a table for reading purposes. However, that function will
> probably never be called by itself, and since PostgreSQL will grab the
> appropriate lock on that table anyway, I was able to just remove the lock
> statement to fix it. However, it seems to me there should be some way of
> grabbing a read-only lock on a set of tables at the top of a function
> marked STABLE simply for the purpose of enforcing the order in which tables
> are locked, regardless of which order they are queried.

Taking a lock is a side-effect, and stable functions are expected not
to have side-effects.  So I don't agree that this is a bug.

However, there still might be an issue, because the CONTEXT trace that
you showed certainly seemed to point where you thought it did.  So I am
wondering if there is a bug in the error-location-reporting stuff, or
if that was an artifact of having stripped out too much information.

                       regards, tom lane

After re-reading the LOCK modes and realizing that ACCESS SHARE is not the same as SHARE, I believe you are correct; the only issue seems to be in the CONTEXT trace failing to point out that the error occurred three function calls deeper than what was reported. It seems it reported it in the first function where the EXCEPTION handling was set up. It should have said it was in user_log_slice() inside summarize_user_log() inside summarize_individuals() inside materialize_live_user_activity(), etc. Going from inner-most function to outer-most function, the first function with exception handling was materialize_live_user_activity().